Sarasota School of Architecture

History

1941 - 1966

Sarasota, Florida

Inflected by local climate, construction practices, regional culture, and Florida lifestyle, the work of the Sarasota School of Architecture founded by Ralph Twitchell and counting Paul Rudolph, Edward “Tim” Seibert, Mark Hampton, Victor Lundy, Gene Leedy, Jack West, and Carl Abbott among its practitioners, marks a high point in the development of regional modernism in American architecture.
In Europe after World War I, a startling new approach to architectural design emerged. The International style (or Bauhaus as it was known under the European school that taught it) turned its back on historic precedent and exploited the new materials and technologies of the day.
Traditional decorative elements or references to past architectural styles were swept away, producing a minimalist architecture of flat-roofed buildings with smooth, unornamented walls and delicate, carefully proportioned facades.
Victor Lundy, Gene Leedy, William Rupp, Edward "Tim" Siebert, Burt Brosmith, and Paul Rudolph
Victor Lundy, Gene Leedy, William Rupp, Edward "Tim" Siebert,
Burt Brosmith, and Paul Rudolph

Photo taken at the 1982 Florida AIA Convention in Tampa
where the term Sarasota School of Architecture was coined.

"Sarasota in the 1950s was one of the most important places in the world for architectural creativity, where the greatest design movements of the day came together."

-Carl Abbott FAIA
An original member of the Sarasota School of Architecture
While the Sarasota School found its inspiration in part from the philosophies of the Bauhaus, it incorporated forms of regional Southern architecture, using patios, verandas, modular construction and raised floors to open up its buildings for greater ventilation in pre-air conditioning days.
The style added a play of light and shadow, and the color and texture of indigenous low maintenance materials, softening the cold machine aesthetic of the Bauhaus.
This approach to design strengthened the connection between architecture and environment, allowing Sarasota School buildings to respect and blend well into their sites. The result was regional modernism which blurred the distinction between the indoors and outdoors and accommodated the lifestyle and climate of southern Florida.

Designs

Learn more about the designs by the Architects from Sarasota School of Architecture.
Leech Studio ("The Round House"), Architect: Jack West and Elizabeth Boylston Waters
Leech Studio ("The Round House")
Umbrella House, Architect: Paul Rudolph, Photo: Anton Grassl
Umbrella House
Photo: Anton Grassl, Esto
Paul Rudolph, 1950
Paul Rudolph

Architects

Learn more about the Architects from Sarasota School of Architecture
Carl Abbott

featured architects and designs

Revere Quality House
Paul Rudolph
and Ralph Twitchell, 1948
learn more about
Revere Quality House
Healy Guest House ("Cocoon House")
Paul Rudolph, 1950
Learn More
Hugh Given House
Philip Hanson Hiss, 1951
Learn more about
Hugh Given House
Hiss Studio
Edward "Tim" Siebert, 1952
LEARN MORE about
Hiss Studio
Walker Guest House
Paul Rudolph, 1952
Learn more about
Walker Guest House
Sanderling Beach Club
Paul Rudolph, 1952
Learn more about
Sanderling Beach Club
Umbrella House
Paul Rudolph, 1953
Learn more about
Umbrella House
Cohen Residence
Paul Rudolph, 1955
Learn more about
Cohen Residence
DeVries/Craig Residence
Edward "Tim" Siebert, 1955
Learn more about
Devries/craig residence
Martin Harkavy House
Paul Rudolph, 1957
Learn more about
Harkavy House
Deering Residence
Paul Rudolph, 1957
Learn more about
Deering Residence
Burkhardt Residence
Paul Rudolph, 1957
Learn More about
Burkhardt Residence
Warm Mineral Springs Inn
Victor Lundy, 1958
Learn More about
Warm Mineral Springs Inn
Maurice Birk House
Philip Hanson Hiss, 1959
LEARN MORE about
Maurice Birk House
Mrs. Adelia Dolan House
Philip Hanson Hiss, 1959
Learn more about
Dolan House
Scott Building
Joseph Farrell
and William Rupp, 1960
Learn more about
Scott Building
Plymouth Harbor
Frank Folsom Smith
and Louis F. Schneider, 1966
Learn more about
Plymouth Harbor
St. Paul Lutheran Church Fellowship Hall
Victor Lundy, 1969
Learn more about
Fellowship Hall
Casa De Cielo
Carl Abbott - 1982
Learn more about
Casa De Cielo
Saul & Florence Putterman Residence
Carl Abbott, 1986
Learn more about
Putterman residence
Chapell-Lifeso House
Donald C. Chapell, 2000
Learn more about
Chapell-Lifeso House
Previous
Next