Edward “Tim” Siebert, 1952
A glass box raised on fourteen slender steel columns, this design is an elegant example of the International style. The studio was one of the first air-conditioned spaces in Sarasota, a necessity in order to protect the drawings and books housed there. The addition is at grade level, surrounded by walled gardens and invisible from the street. It exemplifies the Sarasota School of Architecture’s emphasis on flow of outside air through the house, use of simple materials (glass and concrete block), and discreet luxurious touches.