Jack West and Elizabeth Boylston Waters, 1960
Jack West (1928-2010) graduated from Yale University Architecture School in 1949 and came down to Sarasota to work in the office of Ralph Twitchell and Paul Rudolph. West would eventually partner with Twitchell between 1953-54, and then with architect Elizabeth Boylston Waters, 1956-60, and with engineer Al Conyers, 1966-96. West’s most notable buildings include The Myrtle West House for his mother on Siesta Key (1951), The Nokomis Beach Pavilion (1954), The Hilton & Dorothy Leech Art Studio (1960), known today as “The Round House,” Sarasota City Hall (1966), and the First Federal Savings and Loan Association of Manatee County, Sarasota (1974) – renovated in 2009 by Gateway Bank.
FUN FACT: West’s first and last project of his independent career was the Nokomis Beach Pavilion because in 2008 he was commissioned by Sarasota County to renovate the structure.