This residence, designed by Paul Rudolph in 1953, was built to be the “show house” or sample residence for the Lido Shores neighborhood being developed by Philip Hiss. Located next door to Hiss’s Sales Office, the house gets its nickname from the 3,000 square foot umbrella that shades the house and pool area from the Florida sun.
This umbrella was destroyed in a 1966 storm and was missing until the early 2000s when new owners began rebuilding it. The project was completed in 2017 and the new umbrella and vintage house work perfectly together. While the SAF did not provide funding for this restoration, it did provide moral and technical support, as well as document the rebuilding process. In appreciation, the current owners allow the SAF to open up the house for periodic tours.